Sunday, May 26, 2013

What the heck is Quinoa?

What is Quinoa? pronounced Keen-wah 



I've also tried red/rainbow quinoa. It's a little more expensive and I didn't taste any difference in flavor. I'd opt to buy regular and save money.




Quinoa is an ancient grain and is considered a super food. Very high in protein and a complete protein.

It's is pretty flavorless.

It is very versatile. You can sub it for oats, rice, pasta, add to salad. The recipes are endless for any meal.

How to prepare:

Rinse under water. They say it has a bitter taste if you don't. It's very hard to rinse under water. The tiny grains slip thru the strainer. I seldom wash it and it taste fine.

You cook it like rice.  2 to 1 ratio. 1 cup of quinoa to 2 cups of water.

Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer approx 15-20 minutes until water is adsorbed and grains sprout open. (as pictured above in red)

Where to buy:

I usually buy mine at BJ's whole sale club. It's organic and pre washed. I think a bag is 4.00.
You can buy it at any health food store it's a  bit more pricey.
It's  available at any local grocery store in the health section.

Recipes:

Tonight it's late and instead of eating dinner and dessert I combined my meals;)

I made a quick quinoa pudding. I cooked quinoa in water for approx. 20 minutes. Once water was absorbed I added almond milk, a few raisins, dash of vanilla, some cinnamon and real maple syrup for natural sweetness.

Though it tasted like a dessert. I really had a high protein meal. You don't always have to get your protein from meat. This is an excellent substitution.

I could save leftover for breakfast tomorrow.

For dinner. Typically, I would cook with a bouillon for flavor. These are a few pictures I found on the internet. You can Google recipes. There are tons!







There is a new burger chain called BurgerFi.  They offer a delicious quinoa burger. Yummy;) It is very delish and I feel like I ate a burger! All the protein with very little fat

No comments: