Friday, April 12, 2013

Different types of Kale and a Kale chip recipe

Kale 


Kale is considered a Super food. There are many benefits to kale. 


If you never had Kale you maybe curious about it. There are several different types of Kale. Red kale and Dino Kale are a few I have tasted. They are very different in taste and texture.

I used to buy Glory pre-packaged chopped Kale at the grocery store.

The Problem: 
This Kale is chopped however they don't remove the stem/rib. The stem/rib of kale can be eaten but they are tough (in my opinion). I do not like them.

I started getting a different type of kale from the farm market. It was very tender and I was convinced it wasn't really kale. As I had only eaten the above bagged stuff. 
It was so different in shape and texture. Very tender and light. I believe it's called Russian Kale.


Then there is Dino Kale~ a bit tougher


over the weekend at a local market I purchased Red kale~ Pictured below.
There are many things you can do with Kale:

~You can eat it raw in salad (not my favorite way)
~Saute it
~Add in smoothie
~ use it as if it was spinach

~kale chips
These take minutes to make

Pre heat  over to 350-375 (oven's differ) 

The picture below isn't the best representation. I used Red kale. As you can see the rib is reddish/purple. 
(long raw piece on back of plate in picture below)
Wash and spin dry. 
Rip into bite size pieces. Place on cookie sheet. 
NOTE: Do not over lap  pieces.
TIP: I like to hold rib and rip bite size pieces. 
dis carding  stem

I use a spritzer  Spray oil evenly over Kale chips. 
Then I sprinkle with salt and garlic powder. 
Mix and coat with tongs.
place cookie sheet in oven. 
They usually crisp up within 8 minutes. watch closely. 
You can check half way thru and flip chips. 
you just want them to dry up a little like a chip.
NOTE:
MY KIDS WILL NOT EAT RAW KALE OR LETTUCE.
HOWEVER, THEY WILL EAT A FEW OF THESE=)

I prefer mine crispy. I should of left them in longer but they were still yummy!

ENJOY!



No comments: