Monday, April 1, 2013

Dirty Dozen and Clean 15

Ever heard of the "Dirty Dozen" and "Clean Fifteen"?
See list below

This is a list of produce which you should buy organic as they are high in pesticides. Wreaking havoc on the endocrine/nervous system. There are so many toxic things in the world today, try to limit what you can. 

ORGANIC: People often don't have the extra money for Organic food. This list makes it easy and shows you which foods you should buy organic. 

On the list of "Clean 15" you DO NOT have to buy organic. These products have a natural low need for pesticides. 

TIP:I try to buy LOCAL first. Even though it's not always Organic.  I know exactly where my food is coming from. I also know that it is vine ripened/recently picked. In order to go Organic the small local farmer though using very low pesticides don't have the finances needed to get the "Organic Certification label"

TIP:If I am faced with a "Dirty Dozen" food~ I eat it. However,I would wash and peel the skin. Apples are #1 ranked as the highest in pesticides according to the "dirty dozen"

If you eat these foods seldom it's not a huge issue. However, if I'm feeding my family the "Dirty dozen" on a weekly basis I try my best to always get local or organic.

Local food is "vine ripe"

What does that mean? Most foods are picked weeks prior to being mature. Then they are frozen/sprayed (for color enchantment) and shipped to store.
Ever notice when you cut into a tomato the inside is green even though the outside looks ripe? That was picked prematurely. 
There is a distinct taste difference from a home garden/vine ripe tomato which has a beautiful red color on the inside and out. Most produce comes from California or out of the Country!

Eat in season~ learn what is in season and load up on them. Ask the produce section or at the local farmers market. Can or freeze to enjoy throughout the year. Most fruit can be cut up and frozen. I freeze peeled bananas, blue berries, hulled strawberries, peeled/chopped mangos, sliced pineapple, and cut up peaches. I put them in smoothies or toss in my oatmeal.

My farm was giving me so much corn, I started to turn it down. There is only so much  I can do with corn! The woman told me to peel the outer layer and chop tip of silk off. Place in a brown bag/freezer bag. I did this last season. Over the winter we enjoyed delicious corn on the cob=)

I just learned to Can. It is so simple! 
I know exactly what ingredients are in my homemade strawberry jam. This will last for 1 year on the shelf un opened. It won't make it that long~ it is delicious!! (Jordanne approved~the picky youngster)




Dirty Dozen Plus
Buy these organic
1
Apple
Apples
2
Celery
Celery
3
Red Pepper
Sweet bell peppers
4
Peaches
Peaches
5
Strawberries
Strawberries
6
Nectarines
Nectarines
– imported
7
Grapes
Grapes
8
Spinach
Spinach
9
Lettuce
Lettuce
10
Cucumber
Cucumbers
11
Blueberries
Blueberries
– domestic
12
Potatoe
Potatoes
Plus
+
Green Beans
Green beans
+
Kale
Kale/Greens
+ May contain pesticide residues of special concern
Clean 15
Lowest in Pesticide
1
Onions
Onions
2
Sweet Corn
Sweet Corn
3
Pineapple
Pineapples
4
Avocado
Avocado
5
Cabbage
Cabbage
6
Peas
Sweet peas
7
Asparagus
Asparagus
8
Mango
Mangoes
9
Eggplant
Eggplant
10
Kiwi
Kiwi
11
Cantelope
Cantaloupe
- domestic
12
Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes
13
Grapefruit
Grapefruit
14
Watermelon
Watermelon
15
Mushrooms
Mushrooms

No comments: