Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Make your own Easy No Bake Energy Bars

Many people rely on Protein bars. They are quick and great in a pinch.

TIP: You are always better off eating "Real Food"

Why not just buy a protein bar?

Many protein bars are Glorified candy bars. Loaded with TONS of ingredients, sugar, Fat and "junk"

CLIF is one of the best known protein bars that I used to recommend. Here is the ingredient list:

Ingredients: Organic Brown Rice Syrup, ClifPro® (Soy Rice Crisps [Soy Protein Isolate, Rice Flour, Rice Starch, Barley Malt Extract], Organic Roasted Soybeans, Organic Soy Flour), Organic Rolled Oats, Organic Toasted Oats (Organic Oats, Organic Dried Cane Syrup, Ascorbic Acid, Natural Vitamin E [Antioxidant]), Dried Apricots (Apricots, Dried Cane Syrup, Rice Flour, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid), ClifCrunch® (Organic Oat Fiber, Inulin [Chicory Extract], Organic Milled Flaxseed, Organic Oat Bran, Psyllium), Organic Cane Syrup, Dried Apricots, Organic Date Paste, Organic Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Citric Acid, Sea Salt, Colored with Annatto.o.

Not to bad~ However,there is controversy about Soy protein Isolate. 

Also, the added ingredients to preserve for shelf life.

These home made bars are simple and quick to make!!

YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO COOK THEM. 

I prefer the "protein balls" (pictured below) unbaked and frozen.

We made them yesterday and they're kid approved! 
Not typical in my house=)LOL

I originally learned this recipe from Tosca Reno. I've been following her for years. Clean Eating Magazine and Oxygen Magazine.

Back Pack kisses


 To make the Protein Power balls you will need:
1/2 C Old Fashion Oats
1/4 C Protein Powder (I used Sun Warrior Chocolate)
2 Tbsp of Hemp seed (omit if you don't have any or sub Chia)
2 Tbsp flaxseed (make sure they are ground)
1/4 C Dried Cranberries
1/4 C Chocolate Chips
Pinch of sea salt
1 C Peanut butter (natural)
2Tbsp of honey or brown rice syrup. (I never used Agave but I'm sure it would work)

TIP: You can sub different nut butters and/or any dried fruit you have in the cabinet.

First, I mixed all the dry ingredients together. Then I mix in the peanut butter and honey. (I used kitchen Aid)
Next scoop into bite size balls (I used cookie scoop)  Roll them into bite size portions as shown above.
Then place them in freezer (as pictured above). They thaw within minutes.
In the picture above I baked them on a greased pan @325 for 10 minutes.

"Granola Bars"

I found this recipe on Runner World
For years I have been making a similar recipe that an old friend taught me. However, since it in very hot in Florida the bars melt.

NOW I MAKE THESE YUMMY BARS:)
This recipe was very easy. No protein powder required and they DON'T MELT;)


Recipe:

2 cups of Oats
1 Cup of coconut (I left this out. I don't like coconut)
1/2 c of chopped Almonds
1/2 c of chopped Cashew
1/2 c of sunflower seeds
1/2 c chopped DATES. 

Mix and set aside

In a new bowl mix:

1-1/2 C of peanut butter or Tahini
1 C of honey
Place in microwave for 1 minute
After you remove from microwave~ add 1/2 tsp of PURE Vanilla

Combine wet and dry ingredients. Mix well (kitchen Aid)

On an 11x9 baking sheet spread the mixture out. It will be sticky and warm. Approximately 1/2 inch thick.

Two options here:in picture above I baked them

1. place in freezer no less then 1 hour. Once chilled slice into bar size.

2. Bake @325 for 15-20 minutes. Once cooled cut up. You can individually wrap them and store in fridge or frozen. Again, they thaw very quick!

They will last 6 months in freezer. In my house they are gone quickly.

Again, you can sub/add-in nuts and fruits.

No comments: